Sunday 19 February 2017

18th February 2017. Dunkery Beacon SOTA Activation visit.

G/SC-001 Dunkrey Beacon. 18th February 2017.
A little business trip took me down south this week so I thought I would take advantage of this and activate one of the closest summits. My wife Michelle had the day off and wanted to accompany me. We stayed in Minehead, after breakfast we headed to the car park at Grid SS 89568 40617. We started the walk without me looking at my map, really bad idea as after 10 minutes of walking I realised we were on the wrong track as indicated by grey route on the map.
Yet another foggy summit with less than 30 meters visibility, we arrived at the summit at 09:45 a.m. set up 2M dipole and my 20M Endfed. A very rocky ground so had a few problems setting up my mast, glad I have a full wavelength of coax for 20m and it was just enough to get to my ground spike.


 Had my first QSO's with Matt 2E0MDJ followed by 3 more on 2M including a S2S with Bill G4WSB and he was on G/WB-005 Long Mynd. Then started my 20M QSO's landing Poland x2, Hungary, Germany and Czech Republic. All now finished so we packed up, walked the 15 minutes back to the car and started our 3 hour drive home, now looking forward to next weeks activation.


No comments:

Post a Comment