Tuesday 25 June 2019

SOTA European Tour 2019 Day 8

Our first visit to Luxembourg for over 29 years, we last visited back in 1990 during my time serving in the British Army.

LX/LX-002, Grengenwald. (4 point summit 432 M).

I had offered Michelle a day off from SOTA so we could spend the day in the city of Luxembourg itself. We had left our hotel in Germany at around 9 a.m. and started our journey North West. The SatNav had took us through France and we ended up paying around 30 euros in tolls (be warned).


We stayed in Luxembourg for just over an hour and then Michelle said shall we go back to the summits? I said are you sure and she said yes I am tired of shopping already hi hi I was very glad.
We parked at 49.670817, 6.206297 as suggested by ON7DQ (Luc) on his blog. I missed it the first time as it is very small so I had to turn around drive past it and turn around again as Luc said your cant turn left into this place.

The walk from the car to the activation zone took us about 15 minutes slow walking due to the temperature. I set up my dipole on 40 M, spotted myself and started calling. I managed 10 QSO's including a S2S with HB9BIN/P (Juerg) on HB/NW-011. We only stayed about 15 minutes as it was very hot.


Our second summit was very close to the hotel that we had booked into for the night so had decided to activate this one before we went to the hotel.

LX/LX-001 Steekammchen. (4 point summit 456 M).
Latitude: 49.9725, Longitude: 5.9517

We left the village of Erpeldange and headed south up the track towards the summit and saw a local farmer with his tractor and asked if it was ok to drive up to the summit and he said yes it was fine.

The tracks are fine to drive on and we arrived within 10 minutes.We found a hard standing to park up and walked 100 meters or so up to the AZ. I managed 11 QSO's including 5 on CW all on 40M. We stayed just over 30 minutes then packed up a headed to our hotel which was in Wiltz so only 10 minutes or so driving from the summit.



No comments:

Post a Comment