Saturday 14 September 2019

27th August 2019. GW/NW-003, 004 & 005

GW/NW-005, Elidir Fawr.   27th August 2019.
Altitude 924M. Grid SH 611612.

I had planned to attempt the linear route of the Glyders and Tryfan route that G4OBK (Phil) had done back in July 2017. A good friend of mine Mike (not licensed yet but soon) asked if he could accompany me. I was going to be glad of company on the route, as this was going to be the longest SOTA route I had ever taken part in.

Mike came to my house in Telford and we headed to North Wales on the Bank Holiday Monday 26th August to stay in a premier inn over night to make the day a little easier. We arrived in the Bangor area at around 4 pm so we decided to activate GW/NW-070 (The Great Orme) to give Mike a brief experience of what SOTA is all about. He enjoyed it, as well as the following day. Hence the reason for him taking his Foundation license.

Our route as seen from the centre photo above, the total distance walked was 11.7 miles and with the three activation's took us about 10 hours.
We decided on parking at 53.146556, -4.099415 and take the direct route up the tarmac road to the Marchlyn Mawr Reservoir. This is a 40 minute walk slowly going up hill all the way. From here the ascent is up all the way and if you are not sure yes it is not an easy route.

We managed to arrive and set up my Yaesu FT-270 Handheld and my homebrew Yagi for 2M FM and started calling CQ SOTA at 09.17 am local time. My first and not surprising QSO was with G4DQB/M (Geoff). He had known of my plans and was waiting to chase on all summits. This followed by an additional 8 QSO's including our good friend GW4VPX (Allan) and also EI9GLB (Jim). I told him that I had not heard him on for some time.


Our second summit of the day was going to be

GW/NW-004, Y Garn. 27th August 2019.
Altitude 947M. Grid SH 630595.

We followed the path from Elidir Fawr  North East around past Foel Goch but decided on staying to the lower track. The journey took us about one hour 10 minutes to arrive, we had decided as it was 11.45 am local it was time to set up and have dinner before calling CQ.

As we still had plenty of time left in the day and this summit cover's a large area I decided on playing on HF as well as 2M FM. I set up the SOTABeams linked dipole ready for 40M then started calling CQ SOTA on 2M FM. Yet again the first call of the activation went to G4DQB/M (Geoff), followed by my first S2S. This was with G4VFL/P (Andy) on G/SP-011 followed very shortly after with GW4HQB/P (Phil) on GW/NW-039. After 7 QSO's I decided on trying my luck on the FT-817 with 40M. I had a quick look at my phone and saw OE5YYY/P (Sylvia) & OE5AUL/P (Peter) were both on OE/KT-389 Sso that was my first HF S2S's. Just as I finished I heard MW6BWA/P (Vicki) & MW0JPL/P (Rod) on GW/NW-015 on my handheld calling CQ so reverted back to 2M FM.
My final S2S on HF was with HB9BIN/P (Juerg) on HB/SG-054. I also managed 9 further QSO's including EA2DT (Manuel) a frequent chaser.



GW/NW-003, Glyder Fawr. 27th August 2019.
Altitude 1001M. Grid SH 642579.

On we went towards Glyder Fawr and this is probably the hardest summit I ever been to. The journey took as past the Devils Kitchen at the base of the ascent. Then from here is was loose stones all the way up to the summit. There were a few walking groups on the way up and down, it looked to me as though everyone was having a hard time of the route. There are plenty of zig zag's that need to be completed.

The clouds had been creeping up on us over the last hour and managed to catch us just as we approached the summit. I had never seen any other landscape like this, it looks more like on the moon. As the weather was turning and we still had one other summit to activate I decided a quick 2M FM activation was the way to go.
I started to call CQ SOTA and was answered by G7OEM (Tony) first followed by a further 8 QSO's including a S2S with GI0AZB/P (Ian) on GI/MM-006.


We left the summit at 3.00 pm and started towards Tryfan, with in 100 yards of leaving the summit I tripped and twisted my right ankle. This was the end of activation's as safety comes first and we made our way slowly down the route we had planned to meet the taxi but minus the last summit.

Thank you Mike for a great day and great company, our next activation together will probably be Snowdon in October.



1 comment: