Saturday 8 April 2017

8th April 2017. GW/NW-034 SOTA Activation visit.

GW/NW-034 Cyrniau Nod. 8th April 2017.
Grid SH 988279. Altitude 667M.

A great weekend for the weather so I decided to visit the last 4 pointer in close traveling distance from my home QTH (46 miles). Cyrinau Nod GW/NW-034 took us 1 1/2 hours to get to my car parking place at grid SJ 02453 26513, this is the car park for the church at Pennant Melangell and its free.
We arrived and sorted all our gear then started to Ascend at 09:42 a.m.


This activation requires 2 maps to show the route I used. The Ascent was up the Red route and Descent down the Purple route. The overall route according to my walking app was 8.8 miles but it felt a lot more, this is probably the hardest activation I have achieved until now. The main reason is the last 1 1/2 miles is just heather and bogs, heather that comes up to your knee's and this makes very hard walking as there are no tracks.
As seen in photo 3 watch out for the Peat Bogs, I could not see any easier way but there probably is one some where. I arrived at the summit at around 12:45 p.m. and set up just my 2M dipole as time was dragging on. I managed 10 QSO's including 4 S2S's and the band seamed busy, if I had arrived earlier I would have set up my HF gear but did say I would be back by 3 o'clock lol and that was never going to happen.

I started my Descent at around 13:25 p.m. and managed to get back to the car at 14:57 p.m. so the 15:00 p.m. arrive home was well out of the window. My QYL was home but she was in a good mood lucky for me. I think this activation will be my last to this location as I personally think 4 points for 3 hours of walking in each direction is not worth it I am sorry to say.





No comments:

Post a Comment