Thursday 20 June 2019

SOTA European Tour 2019 Day 2

This is Day two of my SOTA European Tour 2019
Day two started off with a nice continental breakfast in the hotel we stayed at the night before. Then a drive through the Ardennes Forest for about 50 minutes to our first summit of the day. Iverst is a drive on summit on the Belgium-German border, I decided on staying on the Belgium side and parked in the small lay by pointed out by ON7DQ (Luc), I actually met Luc the next day at the SOTA get together on the Friday night for Friedrichshafen Rally.

Again I set up my linked dipole but this time as it was early I gave a call out on 40M. I managed two S2S's S55VN/P (Vili) on S5/CP-033 & DL3RBF/P (Franz) on DM/BW--078 with a further 11 QSO's. Among these were G4OBK (Phil), G0RQL (Don) and EA2DT (Manuel), I think these three managed to hold QSO's with me on most of the summits during the tour. Thank you guys for the support and all of the other chasers as well.

I kept the QSO's short, as I wanted to complete another summit not too far away then drive the 5 hours down the our hotel for the rally.


DM/RP-003 Schwarzer Mann. (6 point summit 697 M).
Latitude: 50.2569, Longitude: 6.3594

Our second summit of the day was about 20 minutes drive from ON/ON-009. This was yet another drive on summit this time into a car park with picnic benches.

This time I decided to try 20M and managed 13 QSO's with a few more chasers to add to the list including GW4VPX (Allan) and G4WSB (Bill), the usual list was getting bigger. I managed to finish within 13 minutes so we packed up the gear and started the long journey South East towards Friedrichshafen. After about 30 minutes or driving we decided to pull into a layby and have a bite to eat. I also decided to remove my mag mount antenna so I could  increase the speed slightly and this saved us at least two hours of driving I would say.

Yes last of the big spenders I know but she was happy with continental dinner as well Hi Hi.


No comments:

Post a Comment