Friday 21 June 2019

SOTA European Tour 2019 Day 3+4

This is Day three & four of my SOTA European Tour 2019

We arrived at the hotel that we were staying at for the next 4 nights. The guest house Pension Deifel, this is a family run guest house and I will be staying there again next year. A really nice and clean place with very friendly staff. We also met DL5NBU (Erwin) and his wife staying at the same hotel for the rally.

DM/BW-348 Gehrenberg. (8 point summit 754 M).
Latitude: 47.7417, Longitude: 9.4242

Our first summit of the day (Friday) was Gehrenberg which was about 25 minute drive from our hotel. We drove down the forest tracks and parked near enough at the summit. Our plan was every time I set up my gear Michelle would take a little walk around investigating the area and she became my photographer for the summit.
I was setting my gear up and I heard a voice, it was DL3SBA (Lutz) who was also there to activate the summit. He set his gear up about 100 meters away.

I had set up my linked dipole in about 10 minutes as the wires got caught a few times on branch's on the floor. In the clear I can set it up in about 5 minutes. I spotted myself and started calling CQ SOTA on 20M and managed 5 QSO's the first with G8AQA (Paul) from my local club TDARS.
Then I tried my luck on 40M and managed a further 12 QSO's. A very good start to the day, after just under 30 minutes all completed and I packed away then went looking for Lutz. I found him and we had a quick chat then Michelle and myself headed back to the car to set off for our next summit.

DM/BW-854 Höchsten. (8 point summit 838 M).
Latitude: 47.8229, Longitude: 9.4009

This summit was a 20 minute drive from the previous summit and was literally on the side of the road. A very busy place with lots of  visitors including DL3SBA (Lutz), DL6FBK (Paul) and HB9EIV (Michael). I set up my gear in a field by the side of the road and started calling on 20M CQ SOTA. My first QSO was with G3UKV (Martyn) from TDARS followed by a further 9 on SSB and then 4 on CW, including two of my friends G0OOQ (Sean) and GW4VPX (Allan). I also managed a S2S with LB4FH/P (Bob) on LA/OL-186.


We planned to visit the rally Saturday as the weather report didn't look good for SOTA (It was wrong and it was a fantastic day).

We had a good day looking around the rally and talking to other SOTA operators at the QSL wall, we had met 30 + people at the SOTA evening meal on the Friday night.



No comments:

Post a Comment