Saturday 29 December 2018

28th December 2018. GW/NW-012 Cadair Berwyn.

GW/NW-012 Cadair Berwyn. 28th December 2018.
Altitude 832M. Grid SJ 071323

Today was going to be my last activation of 2018 so I decided on Cadair Berwyn as I had not been there this year. Jamie and I set off from home at 06:35 a.m. and headed towards Oswestry on the A5, then A483 until Llynclys then turned right on to the A495, followed it then it turned into the B4396 then eventually into the B4580, then turning into Waterfall Street. We had decided on parking at a slightly different place this year. Grid SJ 08013 29056 there is a small lay by just big enough for 3 cars at a push. We were the first to arrive so plenty room.
We had got all our gear ready and started walking at 07:40 a.m. I decided to record the journey using my GPS map on my phone, the route we took is below.

We had a gentle ascent as we didn't need to rush and Jamie as not done any hill walking since we did Snowdon in June. We didn't see anyone else until we had arrived at the summit and set up in the cairn, then we had 4 or 5 groups ascend on us wanting to know what the wire and fishing pole was. Jamie managed to explain to all as I was already making QSO's.

The ascent was going well and we decided to take a break to have breakfast at 09.00 a.m. just near the lake. A nice cup of coffee and a ham sandwich went down well. As seen from the photo above the cloud cover was just above the lake level and we decided to put on an extra layer of clothing just in case.

We managed to arrive at the cairn and set up by 10.10 a.m. and have a quick drink of coffee then had a quick look on Sotawatch and say that MW1EYP/P (Tom) had got a spot on for him so I decided to give him a S2S first, which I did  followed by a further two more S2S with F/HB9AFI/P and SQ9MDF/P.
I then decided to spot myself on 14 Mhz and made a further 4 QSO's in CW. I then tried my luck on 145 Mhz and made a further 15 including another S2S with GW4VPX/P (Allan) and M3TMX/P (Jordan). The reports were all good signals and a good time enjoyed by myself and M6SZF (Jamie) my son.


I decided to put a little video of my Morse code QSO with SA4BLM (Lars) from Sweden, just to show it is not like making a CW QSO in your shack, it can take a little longer especially if the wind is blowing and you get cold.
Thank you to all of the chasers and especially to Jamie for accompanying me for the activation.
I hope you all have a great New Year and hopefully have a QSO with you soon on another summit.



1 comment:

  1. Nice one Paul, keep the good work up mate, your Morse has greatly improved. Well done.
    73 Eric M0KZB.

    ReplyDelete