Sunday 9 December 2018

8th December 2018. GW/NW-039 SOTA Activation visit.

GW/NW-039 8th December 2018.
Grid SH 953423. Altitude 611M.

Here I go again back to the summits, its winter bonus points time so why not. I left home at 06:00 am and headed towards Shrewsbury and followed the A5 until about 6 miles past Corwen and headed towards Llangwm. I arrived at about 07:45 am as it was just getting light. I got all of my gear ready and started my ascent up the usual route as shown on the map below.



I managed to arrive at the summit at 08.20 am and it was extremely windy, I thought I might have a few problems with my new mast. I have purchased a 6m telescopic fishing pole from our local Decathlon store, a good suggestion from one of our TDARS  members M0PNN (Paul) it is not as strong as my 10m SOTA pole but about 1/3 the weight.

 I have made a few changes including trying to improve my CW (Morse code).
I wanted to try and qualify my first summit on CW. I made 6 QSO's using this mode then switched to SSB. 4 out of the 6 call signs checked ok using QRZ.COM, they included: SP9AMH (Mariusz in Poland), HA8BJ (Weber in Hungary), LY2BNL (Valdas in Lithuania) and OE6WIG (Franz in Austria) I had a further 2 in Sweden but can not confirm their call signs, this might have been my mistake taking down the call signs?

I only managed one Summit to Summit with CT2HOV/P (Nuno in Portugal) He was on CT/TM-038. I heard two or three others and tried to get back to them but just too many chasers, never mind.
11 SSB 20M and 6 CW 20m logged so I was a very Happy activator. My furthest CW was LY2BNL 1041 Miles to Lithuania and SSB was EA5GMB 1033 Miles. I managed to have CW and SSB with SP9AMH ( Mariusz).

Thank you to all Chasers especially the CW QSO's for being very patient with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment